Person of the Year Award
Congratulations Russell Fisher
2023 Person of the Year
Celebrate Unsung Local Heroes
Each year, residents gather to celebrate the unsung heroes in the Middle Smithfield Township community and choose a Person of the Year.
The Person of the Year award recognizes Middle Smithfield residents who have made a positive difference in the world and highlight the importance of altruism, philanthropy and community service. The recipient of the award will receive $1,500 towards their cause, while two finalists will receive $1,000 each toward their cause. The winners will each be decided by an independent panel of judges.
- Nominees must be unpaid volunteers who live in and/or volunteer in Middle Smithfield Township.
- Nominees must volunteer for a minimum of one year, at least 170 hours per year, and reside in or volunteer in Middle Smithfield Township and benefit the community in a substantial, important or unique way.
- Nominated volunteers must have provided service during the 2023 calendar year; however, service provided prior to this year can also be included.
- Prior Person of the Year winners & finalists may not be nominated again.
- All Nominations are subject to verification.
Have questions? Call Holly Dennis at 570-223-8920, ext. 132 or email.
- Who should be nominated? What are the criteria?
The Person of the Year is a person that has gone beyond the call of duty for the township within the last year. They have shown exceptional dedication to our community, and have helped make our township more successful. We will honor one adult volunteer each year. The person you nominate cannot be a paid employee or have received any type of compensation (either financial or otherwise) from your organization for their work. All of his/her time and effort must be completely voluntary.
- Who is judging?
A panel of judges will be selected by the Committee Task Force from the following areas:
- Judicial System of the District
- Local Clergy
- News Media
- Business Leader
- Past Person of the Year winners
- When are nominations due?
Nominations for the 2022 Person of the Year Award open on September 26, 2022 and will close November 14, 2022.
Nominators have the option to submit a nomination by mail, or email. No late applications will be accepted. For more information, contact Holly Dennis.
- What does the winner receive?
The Volunteer of the year will receive Township-wide recognition for their extraordinary efforts and an award for their achievement, as well as an inscription in the perpetual plaque. The recipient of the award and the 2 runners up will receive $1,500 and $1,000 toward their cause. (Or, if not consistent with the Second Class Township Code, a cause that is defined by the code).